Presented in six volumes with a slipcase, beautifully designed, printed and bound, this definitive new edition will give pleasure to specialists and general readers alike, superseding all previous editions in its ambition and up-to-date scholarship.
- Over 4,300 illustrations - every work to which Van Gogh refers is reproduced.
- New transcriptions of all the original letters to or from Van Gogh make this the definitive edition.
- New translations render Van Gogh's words more closely than ever before.
- New scholarship: fifteen years of new research have added to our understanding of Van Gogh's life and work and, for the first time, the letters are fully annotated.
- New material: previously unknown letters and fragments are published in English for the first time.
- Authoritative editing: many omissions and misreadings in previous editions have been corrected.
- All the letters, both in the Van Gogh Museum and those in other museums, archives and private collections are included.
- Supplementary texts add information about his life, the context in which the letters were written, a list of materials discussed in the letters, a chronology of his life and a full index.
- Exemplary design: the typography and design is by Wim Crouwel, one of Holland's most accomplished book designers of the last fifty years.
Edited by Leo Jansen, Hans Luijten, Nienke Bakker
of the Van Gogh Museum in association with the Huygens Institute.
6 hardback volumes, each 30 x 25 cm,
slipcased, 2,164 pages, over 4,300 illustrations
vol. 1 (344 pp), vol. 2 (424 pp), vol. 3 (376 pp),
vol. 4 (452 pp), vol. 5 (328 pp), vol. 6 (240 pp)
See the books